Sunday, May 20, 2012

Get Lucky Race Recap

On St. Patrick's Day, I was lucky to run my first 7k with my boyfriend Ryan. It was our first time running a race together, and the first time Ryan had run a race in a very long time. He ran without any prior training! Ryan even wore a cute green shirt and striped green and white knee socks!! I ran in a Team Sparkle green skirt and some St. Patty's accessories!

I also thought I was luck lucky, because it was in the mid 80's and it was MARCH in MINNESOTA!!?? More on that later...

This race was smaller than the Princess 1/2, but was just as crowded. Instead of a sea of pink, it was a see of green! The start of the race was so much fun, looking around at all of the fun St. Patrick's day costumes and clothing. It was however, so so crowded and we had a really hard time moving around and getting to our race corral.

After the Princess 1/2, I did not do much training for this race. I was kind of burnt out, and suffering from a lot of lower back pain. I was going to the doctor every week for the pain, however they only told me to rest. Rest I did! I took the entire time off, running maybe once in between the two races.
Needless to say, it was not a fast race for me! But I had a great time.

It was so, so, so hot!! The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day, but it was hard to run in such hot weather in March! The race company was also not prepared for this weather and they ran out of water! This was not a good thing, as I was dying by mile 3 and really could have used a cup of water!

I ran the first mile with Ryan, and then he told me to go on ahead. I did, but I really worried about how I was going to find him at the end of the race.

The race route was beautiful and kept me going. There were 2 large hills on the course, but I did not stress out about walking up them -- remember, I did not train at all for this race, I was just out there to finish.

And finish I did! Not too far behind me was Ryan. I was able to meet him at the finish line (which was total chaos!) We received our medals, struggled to pick up our goodie bags and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment