Thursday, February 14, 2013

Running Scared?!

It has been awhile since I have posted, and I have a lot of newness to tell! First off, I ran my very first and what I believe to be my very last nighttime race! On January 21st, Ryan and I ran the "Kick you Resolution" 5k. We thought is was going to be an amazing race! The race description read "run on a candlelit path and through an amazingly lighted christmas tree forest" -- sounded like so much fun, and it kept us on track for completing 2- 5K's in the month of January. In reality, the course was dark!! No candles, and a very small area of christmas lights. It had also rained the night before, so the path was icy!! I was so scared, as I could not see the path, and we had been warned at the runner's meeting that it was VERY ICY! I had one good slip -- not a fall, but a good slip, and that was it! I was done running and pretty much walked the entire thing. I was upset that the race was said to be so romantic and beautiful and it ended up being a cold, dark mess. This was the only race in which I was actually scared, I never run at night, and I don't think I would ever run without some light source. Over 90% of the course was pitch black...add the ice and you have one scary run! It was very unfortunate, because Ryan and I were really looking forward to feeling the success we had at the Polar Dash. We were proud that we finished in the upright position, and we were happy to spend the rest of the night at the Westin Hotel warming up and eating yummy food! I have a couple of pictures to post, but really this race was a bummer and I would not spend the money to run it again next year. :(


Getting ready to run! Still light out!
Before the race: with our "glow" necklaces
Little did we know what we were getting into!
The Bonfire was too smelly to warm up with
After the race: we pretended our necklaces were medals!
I think we earned them!! We stayed standing!
Have you ever run a disappointing race?

No comments:

Post a Comment