Monday, January 2, 2012

Polar Dash Race Update

In my last blog, I mentioned that we had been experiencing above average temps here in Minnesota. After Christmas we had a few days in the 40's and even New Year's Eve was 42 degrees!! Of course this wouldn't last though! On December 30th, I started really watching the weather reports, as the Polar Dash was only two days, and I thought I had better start thinking about what I was going to wear. I had been sick the entire week and spent everyday in bed, so I was a little nervous about the race, but since it was only a 5k, I knew it wouldn't be an issue, I just wouldn't be too fast. However, then I was shocked to hear that on New Year's Eve we were expected to get freezing rain followed by up to 5 inches of snow and wind gusts from 35-50mph!!! What the hell?!?! This was to continue into New Year's Day, the day of the Polar Dash!! Boo!!

At about 8pm it did start raining, there was even a flash of thunder and a few claps of lightening!! When does that happen in Minnesota in December?!?? By 10:00 it was snowing, big wet flakes that quickly covered the group in about 3 inches of very wet snow!! The entire night, Ryan and I were checking the radar, and wondering if we would even make it up to the race (about 2 hours north of us). I was pretty bummed, because I was excited to run a winter race, and haven't ran a race since my 1/2 marathon in October. I was geared up for it!! We decided to just wake up early, and see how the roads looked. Then after some late night shoveling, I went to bed.

I hardly slept at all. I have never been so nervous for a 5k. I think my nerves were more about the road conditions, and about the chance that we might not make it to the race, and then IF we did make it to the race, could I actually run in the wind?!! I listened to the wind all night long, as it sounded like it would lift my house right off its foundation!! By 5am, I was sick of tossing and turning, so I got up and checked the road reports, and the radar. Roads were clear! Thanks to how warm it was, and how badly the plow drivers needed the work, every major road was dry and clear of snow!! The wind was awful, and I was really afraid of how awful it would be to run in it, but fears aside, we were packed and in on the road by 6am!! The race didn't start until 10am, but I HATE to be late for anything, and we figured the extra time might be needed!

We were so lucky that the roads were clear, because the wind pushed us all over the roads! We made it to the race extremely early (about 8am! including a stop for Bagels and water!). We quickly found a parking spot and just relaxed in the car for awhile. I was excited and nervous. It was cold, and overcast, their was snow on the ground and on the roads, the wind was blowing hard, and being a fair weather person, I was freaking out a little bit!!

At around 9am, we made our way to the Runner's Village, an area with potties, bag check, and warming huts!!!
Check your bag with the Polar Dash Penguins!
Lots of potties!! In a parking garage!! 
Warming tents!! These were amazing!!
Trying to stay warm and our of the wind in the Runner's Village.

I found it hard to dress for this race, as it was very damp, and bone-chilling cold due to the wind. I wore my LuLulemon winter running pants (Christmas gift from Ryan!!) a wicking long sleeve tech T and a 3/4 zip Under Armor heat gear top. I wore a long down coat to the Runner's Village as well. I was, also rocking my bright blue Team Sparkle skirt for this race! It was my first "real" race wearing a Team Sparkle skirt and I LOVED it! I felt so special and girly!! I also, last minute, made a wardrobe change, and traded my Under Armor heat gear for the Polar Dash fleece (bad move!!) which breaks my rule of NEVER wearing the race gear during the actual race!! But I was freezing in just my Under Armor, and so many people were wearing the fleece, I decided it would at least be warm!!


1/2 Marathon and 10k Start
The 10k and 1/2 marathon (are they crazy?) runners started about 15 minutes before the 5k runners. And I was really wishing that I could start running too!! Soon enough I was standing surrounded by hundreds of other freezing cold people getting waiting to hear the starting gun. It seemed to take forever  before we heard the gun, and even longer before we even crossed the starting line. I think due to the cold, people were moving slower than normal!

Polar Penguin high fives for the start of the race

5k Start!! Finally!!































I consider this an "uncrowded" part of the course
The star to the race was very crowded, probably the most crowded of any race I have run to date. This was due to the fact we were running on a small road next to the Mississippi river, and it was an out-and-back course, meaning we were all using just one side of the street. The other reason, was that were MANY walkers who were at the front of the starting corral and caused a lot of bobbing and weaving on the part of the runners. The third reason was there were so many people who had never run a race and were running 4 or 5 people wide. Finally, people were avoiding the ice on the road, and everyone was weaving all over the place to stay out of the ice. For the most part, the roads were really good. They were mainly wet (which made my toes wet and cold!), but there was also a lot of slush and some very icy patches. I did my best to stay off of the ice, and out of the slush, but at times it was impossible to do with the mass amounts of people running around me. 

I was surprised that the crowd didn't spread out more, but the entire race was very tight! It was also much hillier than I thought it would be, there were 4 or 5 good hills that we climbed on the way out, and on the way back. Overall, I thought it was a nice course, and Team Ortho did a good job clearing the roads for the runners' safety!

Right away I felt really good heading out of the starting gate. This was my first race in my new Newton shoes (another great gift from Ryan!), and they were AMAZING!! No foot pain, no leg or hip pain! My new running pants were warm and cozy, and I was thankful for the wind-stopping material on the thighs! I was also wearing my Team Sparkle skirt for the first time during a race, and I was loving how cute I felt!! These really are amazing skirts!! Maybe I was numb due to the temperature, but I was feeling good! The cold air, however hurt my throat, and made breathing more difficult than normal. What I was not loving was my choice of clothing on the top! I was wearing mittens, and a hat, my long-sleeved wicking T and the race gear (a fleece 3/4 zip-up). After about 1/4 of a mile, I was sweating!! I took my mittens off and unzipped the fleece, but just could not feel right on the top. I wasn't going to take my hat off, as I knew I needed it in the wind, but I was sweating so badly!! The fleece that I was wearing was heavy and very hot! It did not breathe and I was wet from sweating! Once we made the turn and headed back for the finish, the wind picked up and gave my sweating body quite a chill! 

See me running across the finish in my blue skirt?



During the run, I chatted with quite a few people who asked about my skirt! Everyone had the weather on their mind, and were happy that they just signed up for the 5k and not something crazy like the 1/2!! The end of the race came much too soon, as I was having a great time (aside from the sweating!) and my body was feeling so good!! Luckily, the wind picked up to that promised 50mph gusts for the last 1/4 of a mile, so once I crossed the finish line I was actually very happy to be finished!! To top that happiness off, I was happy to see a sparkling new PR!! 32minutes!! Not fast by some standards, but 4 minutes cut off of my last 5k race!! Woo hoo! With weather like we had, I will take it!! :)




I was cold, but wanted my picture with a penguin! Got it!
We didn't spend much time hanging around after the race was over, it was so cold and damp, and Ryan was chilled to the bone after watching on the sidelines. I collected my (really cool!) medal, and my penguin picture and we headed to the car! I was so happy to PR after being sick for an entire week, and I was happy that we had actually made it to the race!! We celebrated my finish and the New Year with a delicious brunch at Good Day Cafe, Bad Day Bar!!
Beignets and a vanilla latte!! Yum!!
49'ers and apple sausage!! Notice the wet hair! Eeew!


No comments:

Post a Comment