Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Actually Running!!

It is now about 12 weeks into my running journey. I have regained my confidence since the "shoe incident" and have been struggling to find a suitable training program for the next step of my journey. I have been watching my miles for about the last two weeks, running 2 or 3 miles for each one of my workouts, and not really knowing how to go further. Luckily, I found the "Bridge to 10K" running program. It starts right were C25K leaves off.
I started my first day of training on Monday. I was nervous about the length of the training (55minutes), but was excited to again be able to cross each workout off of my calendar. I was so excited that I created my very own fancy workout calendar (picture coming soon!), just to make the completion of each workout that much more enjoyable to cross off.
This program consists of 6 weeks of workouts, starting and ending with the mandatory 5 minute warm-up/cool-down. This week's workout is run 10 minutes walk 1 minute: repeat 4 times. This is how the workout went for me:

first 10 minutes: I can do this, this isn't bad at all, I have run ten minutes multiple times, no problem
second 10 minutes: I think I should quit after these ten minutes, I cannot believe that I am not even 1/2 way done. Ugh, this is not fun!
third 10 minutes: I am actually going to throw up!! I am going to puke all over this treadmill! Hey, wait, this isn't so bad, I can do this! Wait, I am having fun....
fourth 10 minutes: I am running!! I CAN do this!! I am a runner!! Woo hoo!!

My pain was all mental, my breathing was even and steady, my legs were feeling good. I just had a mental block for during the second mile, and it carried over into the beginning of the third mile. After about 2.25 miles, I was relaxed and enjoying my run. I hope this doesn't happen all the time!

The pain I was feeling on the treadmill was mental, but once I got off, the pain was real. My legs were tired and sore. I stretched, hoping to be able to walk in the morning, and went to bed. Somehow I was alive and pain-free on Tuesday....!!!

I have to run again today and I am looking forward to it, I feel like a runner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment