Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Not every run is going to feel good

After finishing C25k, I needed a training program that would push me forward to running more miles. I found "Bridge to 10k" which is for graduates of the C25k program, perfect right? Well, I thought it would be perfect, I thought it would be fairly easy to follow this program and be able to run a 10k in six weeks. I started B210k last week. My last week's workout was 5 minute walking warm up, followed by four sets of run 10 minutes walk 1 minute. The first two sessions were good, and I was very confident about running. I had this feeling that I could really run as far as I wanted, things were very good! The third workout of the week proved me wrong, it was awful from the first minute of running and even though I thought it would get better, hoped it would get better and even prayed it would get better, it didn't. I did however, finish the workout, I wouldn't let myself give up, but my confidence was low, and I felt really awful. For the very first time, a terrible sense of doubt filled my mind, and I seriously questioned if I was actually going to be able to continue with my workouts and reach my goal of running a 1/2 marathon.
So on Sunday, I went to the Running Room, to be surrounded by all things "running" and to get some inspiration to continue, to remind myself that not all runs are going to be great, or feel great! That there is some pain involved in this sport.
Yesterday, I pushed all my fears and feelings of failure aside, and I went to start week #2 ( three reps of15 minutes of running, and 1 minute of walking). Again, I had a hard time, I struggled keeping the pace I wanted to keep, and I was sweating more than I have ever sweated before. I had to stop after my first 15 minutes because of a stomach cramp, but I got back on that treadmill and continued the second set and finished the third set (slowly, but finished!).
Yesterday was also a day that I set aside to really get a start on my Lazyman's Tri. Which involves completing a Iron Man Tri in five weeks time. After my run, which totaled 5 miles (holy crap!) I biked 12 miles and hit the pool for a 3/4 mile swim. The swim was really great, it seemed to stretch all my sore muscles and was actually pretty relaxing. Overall I lost 4lbs yesterday! Of course, I do understand that it was just water and the weight will be back in a few days. But I can live in the moment, can't I?
I thought I would be really sore this morning, and paying for the 3 hours I spent in the gym yesterday, but I am feeling pretty good, my calves are sore, and my feet are slightly achy, but overall I feel good.
Today is my day off, and I am pretty excited not to have to pound my feet on the treadmill today. I might go swim tonight for some added exercise and to stretch everything out. We will see if I am motivated enough to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment