Friday, November 18, 2011

The Mankato 1/2 Marathon....toenails are for sissies!

Happy to finish!! 
On October 22, I completed my very first 1/2 marathon!!
Like I have said in previous posts, my ultimate goal and the whole reason I have devoted myself to running, is to complete the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon in February 2012. Everyone who knows me, has heard me ramble on and on about running in the Princess 1/2 and they have all sat through multiple conversations with me about how excited I am and what an experience it will be. Blah, blah, blah!!

I am so excited about this race, that I decided that I just couldn't "wing" it, that the Princess could and should not be my first 1/2, that I should go into it more prepared. So, I decided on a whim to participate in our local 1/2 marathon, which is in its second year.

I trained hard, even though, I now know I need to train more. My longest run was a 12 mile run, which Ryan rode along side of me for. I was determined to run a good race, to finish and to experience everything that race weekend had to offer me.

The day before the race, I was so nervous! Heck, the week leading up to the race I was a mess! I was probably more excited than nervous, but I could not sleep without running though my dreams! The day before the race was MEA Friday, meaning I did not have to work. Therefore, I was able to spend sometime at the Marathon Expo, to get pumped up and calm my nerves!!

The expo was so crowded, with racers of all ages and sizes. The race weekend included a Kid k, 5k , 10k 1/2 marathon and full marathon. There were all sort of booths with great running gear and free samples. I picked up a couple of technical running shirts, and 2 Sweaty Bands.  As I wanted to soak in as much of the weekend as possible, I also listened to a few of the Expo Speakers. After leaving the expo I was very excited for my race!

Morning came fast and Ryan (along with my sister who came down to support me) drove me to the starting line a little before 8am. It was a cold morning and I was very happy once we started running, as I was freezing just standing around.

I have to say that I got a little emotional as I rounded the first corner. This was such a huge step for me. I never in my life thought I would be able to run a 1/2 marathon!!

All along the course, Mankato had placed Cheer Zones. Different groups from Mankato were designated to man a zone and cheer for the runners. It was great fun! The different zones were decorated, and the cheers propelled me forward.

Lost two nails on one foot and one on
the other, the left foot is too gross to show!!
Miles 1-7 were great! I was enjoying the entire experience, and felt really strong. It was about mile 8 that I hit a wall. I was hungry, and my Shot Blocks were not giving me what I needed. My legs started cramping at mile 9 and at mile 10 my toe nails started falling off!! (No! I am not kidding!! I lost 3 toenails during this race!!)  Ryan and my sister followed me around the course, providing cheers, support and water,when needed. My mom, grandma and aunt Julie were also on the course to cheer me on! Seeing my mom sitting in her wheel chair, made me run even harder, because I can...and I want to run for her!! By the end of the race, I was so happy to be finished! Mainly because I did not have to run anymore!! My left foot was numb, and my legs were cramping so bad, but I finished!! I did it!! I was so proud!!

This race gave me the experience I needed to be more comfortable with the Princess 1/2. It gave me the confidence I needed, and taught me what I need to do to be more comfortable (bigger shoes? more food?).

I also learned that I need a lot of cheers!! The support from Ryan and my family help so much!! I am nervous about not having them there for me in Disney World. My cousin, Missy, will be there cheering for me, I just hope she can cheer loudly!! :)

Ryan gave me this as a special medal! I wear it proudly!

No comments:

Post a Comment