Thursday, November 17, 2011

I have been on a running journey! A long update....

Its been way too long since my last post, if anyone actually read my blog,  they probably would have thought I quit running, and was too ashamed to post anymore updates. But just the opposite of that is true. I have been running strong for over a year now!! I am proud of all the accomplishments I have made, and all of the miles I have logged.


Training for the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon was my first goal, it was the push I needed, it was what got me though the hard workouts and kept me positive on all of those early morning runs during the HOT summer months. 







But the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon propelled me to push myself even harder. The "Princess" is still my ultimate goal, and I am signed up to run it on February 26th, 2012. I am still training for it and the thought of running the "Princess" still pushes me to complete my workouts.  But it has been so much more to me, it has been my gateway to running, it has given me the courage and the strength to complete in other races too. 


When I first committed to running a 1/2 marathon, I pretty much thought that would be my goal, meaning my one and only goal. I thought I would train for a year, run the 1/2 and be done with it. Be able to cross it off my list and move on to other things. But like I said, the Princess was a gateway drug for me. 


In May, I competed in my very first race. I ran our local Memorial Day 10k. Leading up to the race, I had been running for 6 months, and had completed both the Couch 25k and the Bridge to 10k programs. I was confident, but like the first time you do anything, I was nervous. I was nervous I would be last, I was nervous I wouldn't be able to finish, I was worried that I would end up crying and walking. All of those things had happened on various runs throughout the six months leading up to my first race. 
I was convinced to run the 10Kato by a couple of my co-workers who were also going to be running. I figured that if I could run my first race in the company of experienced runners, it would be to my advantage. A long story short, they both bowed out, and I ended up running myself. It was the best feeling of my life, I completed those 6 miles in 58 minutes. Not fast, but I finished them!! I even was able to run the entire last mile (which is a 1 mile long hill!!). I was so proud. But above all, having my boyfriend Ryan there cheering me on every step of the way, gave me so much confidence. He was a great supporter.





I spent one month of this summer in Germany, where I walked a lot but was unable to get much running in. Returning to the states, I was fortunate to hook up with a few runners and spent many early mornings logging miles on the Red Jacket trail. These runs have been some of my favorite ever. Cool, foggy and calm. Running through the woods in the fog, with the sun slowly rising, I would often run into families of deer. Many of these runs were surreal, such smooth runs, in which I would lose all sense of time and distance. 


During this time, I committed to running the Mankato 1/2 Marathon, which took place on October 22, 2011. (I will write an entire post about this race in the future). Again, I was committed with a group of friends, we were all going to get through the race together. And again, each one of them slowly dropped down to run the 10k, all having multiple excuses. 


During my training, I competed in the 2011 Iron Girl in Bloomington, Minnesota (September 24th). This  was an awesome race! Running with 12, 000 other women, and earning my title as an Iron Girl was so inspiring. I was not well-trained for the biking portion of the race, but I ran a PR!! It was an amazing feeling!! And this time, I finally was able to race with a group!! It really does make the experience more fun!!


My running journey continues, as I am going to sign up for the Monster Race Series! This is a series of 5 races, all taking place in the Twin Cities through out the next year. I am so excited to continue to push myself, and take my running to another level!!


And I am counting down the days until the Princess 1/2!!! I already owe this race so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment